Sunday, September 18, 2011

Picture Books

Dr. Fran Macko ignited my desire to read history content picture books to my students. The concept is so simple, yet it is very impressionable. The students are focused for a relatively short period of time, learn the most important facts, and are engaged the whole time. I used to use things like this often, but have come away from it in the past few years. I'm excited to try some of the titles she shared, like, John, Paul, George, and Ben and George vs. George. I think the content will be absorbed quickly, and will be retained for a substantial length of time.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! I, too, think picture books are a wonderful way of introducing history content to students! As we build up our own libraries, we should share through district mail when we can! Let me know if you discover any new good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! I also appreciated Dr. Macko's lesson and the list of picture books that she shared with us. Since so many of the titles are not in stock in book stores, it is good to have recommendations from someone who is actually knowledgeable, rather than have to order a book only to find that it is really not appropriate for your needs in the classroom. Hopefully the teachers taking part in this project will be able to do the same for each other as we seek out books that do a good job of presenting the history content of 5th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picture Books: I like George vs. George for all reading levels in middle school. A good book is a good book! Overs years, I have been inspired buy and collect 2 to 3 new books that cost 5 to 10 dollares. They are staged in the front of class for students to view and handle. Each has a the 'best' literature writing for a specific topic other than a textbook.

    ReplyDelete